Pu Luong – a Nature Reserve near Mai Chau town of the Thai people will be a great choice for your travel away from Hanoi. It is the closest place near Hanoi where you can visit and stay in the traditional home of the Thai people – one of Vietnam 54 ethnic minorities, visit to these beautiful villages you will also have chance to walk or trek on trails less traveled, meeting the locals….all of this will simply offer you an unforgettable experience
The areas of Mai Chau and Pu Luong are full of great hiking trails, stunning scenery, and local hill tribes which are just waiting to be discovered. From Hanoi you travel southwest toward the Laos border. The change in scenery is dramatic as you leave behind the flat, busy streets of the capital and reach the limestone karsts and rolling green hills of the Mai Chau area. The trek is a mix of walking, village exploration, and local interaction. During the daytime you enjoy the fresh air and sweeping views, while at night, enjoy traditional dance performances, local food, and overnight stays in village homes.
- Mai Chau: Mai Hich village (less traveled place)
- Pu Luong Nature Reserve: Hang village, Eo Ken village, Don village (less travelled places)
- Trekking/walking in a small part of Pu Luong Nature Reserve
- Unique home stay experience in local stilt houses
- Experience the everyday life and culture of Thai and Muong ethnic minorities
- Wind between the numerous karst formations
Day 1: Hanoi – Mai Chau (145km)
Meals: Local breakfast, lunch and dinner served by local people at the home stay
Depart from Hanoi at 7.00 am. On arrival in Mai Chau, we check in a village named Mai Hich. Relax, then lunch will be served by our homestay family in the village.
After lunch, we can either do a gentle cycling or take a troll around the village where you can see local people working on the rice fields and gardens. Here at the village, we spend the night with a local Thai family who will be our host in a traditional stilt house. Walk around the village surrounded by rice fields and springs. While enjoying hospitality of locals, we learn little more about their culture and activities of their daily life. Overnight at a stilt house in Mai Hich village.
Day 2: Mai Chau- Hang village – Eo Ken village- Don village ( 4 ~ 5 hours trekking + 35km driving)
It will be interesting to get up and observe, or even take part in their activities in the morning because the daily life here starts early by taking an opportunity to stroll around Mai Hich village before having breakfast served by Thai people. We leave Mai Chau at 8:00am. Then, drive about 35km to Pu Luong Nature Reserve. Today we will be walking approximately 4 hrs .The first hiking is hard with some steep climbs and yet more stream crossing, the next is really glorious with beautiful views of valley, rice terraces, rich rain forest, streams…
Picnic lunch on the way at Eo Ken village, then, meet up with our private car on the main road. The car will drive us for about 8km on the main road before we start our trek down to Don village. When we arrive Don village, relax at our home stay in the village a bit, then, walk around the village to explore more. We stay with the local family. In the evening, if lucky enough, we can enjoy a traditional dance show performed by the locals occasionally.
Day 3: Don village – 2 hours trek – Pho Doan – Hanoi (185km)
Meals: Local breakfast, lunch served by local people at the home stay
The natural setting is very beautiful in this village. Everything is just peaceful and relaxing. We have a great view of the rice fields where we stay. After breakfast, we do about 2 hours trekking to Pho Doan. We just walk through breath-taking scenery of the rice terraces. Have lunch at a local restaurant. Drive back to Hanoi at noon. Arrive Hanoi before 7:00pm.
PRICES (Valid from 01/01/2015 to 31/12/2015)
- Private group of 2 people: $340/person
- Private group of 3-5 people: $320/person
- Private group of 6-10 people: $300/person
Maximum: 10 people/group
Please, kindly be informed all Zoom Zoom trips are private/personalized trips and they are first come first served.
If you would like to go on a private motorbike trip instead of private car trip, the cost is lower.
- 3 days private car rental
- Accommodation two night home stay
- 3 full days full services of Zoom (me) or private experienced English speaking guide if I’m not around
- 1 day local guide for trekking
- All meals as mentioned in the itinerary + bottled water during the trip + snacks stop on the way and coffee breaks
- Beverages, gratuities and personal expenses
- Travel insurance
* We endeavor to keep the trip as safe as possible but ultimately you are responsible for your own safety and Zoom is not liable for any damage or personal injury.